Dancing in the Rain

In 2009, I thought my world was crashing in around me.  I was working as a teacher for a person that I could not see eye to eye with.  There was nothing I could do to make her appreciate the me that is me.  She (in my opinion) was a bully and not a sufficient leader.  I decided that instead of trying to please a person that wanted an unattainable perfection that I would quit teaching.  That was November 2009.

At that time I felt depressed and worthless.  I was a teacher, I was trained to be a teacher, I had my BS in education, and a teaching certificate but I felt so wounded.  I didn't want to teach but what else could I do.  I substituted for the remainder of the school year and I enjoyed myself.  However, you can't support a family being a substitute teacher and it wasn't fair for Joe to be working so much.  I am so blessed that my husband supported me 1000%.

I was lost.  I didn't know where to turn or what to do.  What happened in June 2010 can only be the hand of God.  My pastor needed someone to be a scribe for an incoming company that was going to evaluate Kid's Central, Inc.  He asked one of the assistants at the church who was unable to do it but told the pastor that I might be interested.  At first I wasn't sure but I decided to go with it.

This decision lead me to meet two amazing people who have helped shape my career and directed me to become an even more amazing version of myself.

In June 2010, I meet Dr. Jean Elder of J. K. Elder and Associates.  Dr. Elder, is amazing.  She was the Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services (Human Development Services) appointed by President Ronald Reagan.  She was on the cutting edge of Human Services.  I spent several weeks traveling the five counties taking notes for and learning from Dr. Elder.  I will never get to have dinner with President Reagan but I got to work for someone who did.

On the very first day that I was with Dr. Elder I met one of Kid's Central's directors, Debra Wise.  I was instantly impressed with Debra Wise.  I told her my story and she told me to apply to Kid's Central.  I have to admit that I doubted her...so sorry Deb, but I applied anyway.  In July 2010, I got a call from Debra telling me to come in for an interview.  (Side note: Deb's a Nole.)

I didn't get the position that I interviewed for but I got one that was even better.  I started working a temporary full-time employee at Kid's Central, Inc.  I was nervous and at times I had to admit I wondered what I had gotten myself into. In October 2010, I was hired as a full time employee in the HOPE Program.

I started my pre-service training in November 2010.  Today I am officially done with training.  My test case is complete and I am now a Child Protection Special Services Professional.  It feels good.

In 2009, when I thought my world was crashing down around me, I guess it was.  But like a Phoenix, I was able to rise up from the wreckage (with the help of some fantastic people) and I am even better off now than I could have ever been where I used to be.

It is important to remember that when you are going though a trial that God still has his hand on you.  I feel so extremely blessed!

The words "Thank You" aren't enough.

I love my job. I love my supervisor. I love my director. I love Dr. Elder and Pastor Yates. I love Kid's Central, Inc. :-)

Comments

Pam said…
I love being able to look back on life and see how God worked his plan and put all the pieces into place.

Popular posts from this blog

My Tattoo Adventure

Still Healing

9-11 remember it or forget it??